At the time, The CEO SleepOut™ held the record for South Africa’s largest ever single charitable or philanthropic event. Ornico’s monitoring and evaluation services were used on a daily basis to keep track of developments and to adjust strategy accordingly – even attempts at ambush marketing could be thwarted successfully.
Ornico research demonstrated the effectiveness of the campaign and event, as well as the client’s ability to reach their objectives. The results from the various measurement initiatives are enabling them to plan for future campaigns by identifying effective channels, as well as partners. Standout results include:
- 104 percent of target achieved in terms of funds raised (R26 054 869)
- 98 percent of participant target reached (247 CEOs and business leaders)
- 70 percent of media coverage contained key message concerning the homeless and vulnerable
- 2015 showed an average monthly increase of 45 percent in media coverage focusing on the plight of the homeless after the event (measured across all 12 months)
- 74 percent overall positive sentiment
- 60 percent of CEOs nominated on radio took part
- 14 unofficial “Sympathy SleepOuts” were held
- The most successful participant recruitment channel was via direct invitation – 39 percent
- 43 percent of website traffic to www.theceosleepoutza.co.za was via direct access – more than any other referral channel
- High media advocacy for the event in analysed media items (7.2/10)
- Social media engagement of 3.4 percent on Twitter with an average of 9.4 likes and 1.9 shares per post on Facebook
- 4 percent negative coverage post-event – some feeling CEOs used event as PR exercise
- Channel performance across awareness, knowledge transfer and advocacy could be demonstrated
- Effectiveness of invitations and referrals vs media coverage could be demonstrated
- Participant demographics were collected
- Multiple measurement benchmarks were set
The Ornico Campaign Analysis Report was made available in an e-book format as well as a printed 48-page full colour report which was hand delivered to all participants – reinforcing and providing independent evidence of the success of the event, as well as to encourage future participation. Ornico further conducted additional research on media channels, prominent influencers and partner performance in support of the main campaign analysis, so helping to guide the communications and partner strategy for the following year and beyond.
Major changes included the omission of a main media Partner, and a greater focus instead on smaller media partnerships and on social media. The spontaneous “Sympathy SleepOuts” showed great public support which will now be leveraged by launching up to three additional official “SleepOut” brands in the future.
Ornico established measurement and evaluation as an integral part of The CEO SleepOut™ strategy and is a vital partner for any future events. The report is a great showcase for Ornico to demonstrate the benefits of using best measurement and evaluation principles as dictated by the Barcelona Principles, Barcelona Principles 2.0 and the AMEC Valid Metrics Framework.
Name of contact: Francois van Dyk
Telephone: +27 11 884 5041